November 27, 2018
Advocate, Participate, and Donate to the American Legion Auxiliary Foundation and be part of a new tradition of generosity! It’s a simple idea. We have a day for giving thanks and two for getting deals. #GivingTuesday, November 27, is a global day dedicated to giving back. Donate to the ALA Foundation on #GivingTuesday to help ensure our worldwide mission of service to veterans, military and their families endures.
The American Legion Auxiliary has been dedicated to the act of giving back to our veterans, whether through service, donations or awareness, since its founding nearly 100 years ago. This year, we have the opportunity to continue to make a significant impact by joining in on a philanthropic movement that has been spreading worldwide. It’s called #GivingTuesday, a global day dedicated to giving back.
What is #GivingTuesday?
#GivingTuesday celebrates the act of giving – on the Tuesday following Black Friday and Cyber Monday. On November 27, 2018, the American Legion Auxiliary community will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give. It is the opportunity to join more than 150 countries around the world in encouraging giving on #GivingTuesday. Just as the retail world has benefitted from coordinating national shopping days across many brands and platforms, #GivingTuesday does the same for organizations dedicated to serving our communities through philanthropy.
How did #GivingTuesday start?
New York’s 92nd Street Y, a nonprofit cultural center, was the catalyst for #GivingTuesday, creating the event in 2012 to build a community devoted to giving. The United Nations Foundation joined as a partner, bringing its strategic clout to the project. An amazing team of influencers then offered their ideas, contacts and wisdom to help shape and improve the concept. A powerful list of corporations and non-profits agreed to be founding partners, helping spread the word and committing to their own #GivingTuesday initiatives. Since then, countless organizations, friends and leaders have all added their support and talents to make #GivingTuesday a reality. The project is inspiring many people to give: In 2018, #GivingTuesday generated about $300 million in donations; a significant increase compared to the $13.4 million raised in 2012.
Why should you give on #GivingTuesday?
- Your donation celebrates and encourages support for the American Legion Auxiliary Foundation.
- A dedicated day of giving has tremendous power to positively impact the lives of veterans and military families.
- Giving to the ALAF online is an easy way to support what matters to you from the comfort of your own home.
- You can use the growing popularity of #GivingTuesday to remind family, friends and neighbors of the ALA mission and how generosity can change the lives of others.
- Your donation shows that the mission of the American Legion Auxiliary and the Foundation matter!
- Your gift will be matched dollar for dollar up to the first $17,000 by ResourceOne.
What does my gift on #GivingTuesday do for veterans?
Your #GivingTuesday gift directly impacts the lives of veterans and military families through two funds established by the American Legion Auxiliary Foundation – the Veteran Projects Fund and the Mission Endowment Fund. The Veteran Projects Fund, which supports ALA projects that address the emergent needs of veterans, has been used to renovate a veterans homeless shelter, and to purchase computer stations and laptops for veterans facilities. The Mission Endowment Fund uses the interest on donations paid into the fund to support ALA programs, ensuring that future generations may benefit from Auxiliary programs that support veterans and their families. Your donation today helps ensure we’re here to help veterans tomorrow! Before our gifts were matched, last year we raised $21,117. There were 312 donations total with an average of $67.68 per donation. On Tuesday alone, there were 76 donations total with an average of $96.64 per donation. Together we can surpass last year’s numbers and have more impact than ever before.
How can I help spread the word about #GivingTuesday?
#GivingTuesday is a grassroots movement that needs your help! Click on the participate tab to get all the resources you need to make a difference.
Welcome to the American Legion Auxiliary Foundation #GivingTuesday toolkit! Let’s come together to spread the word for #GivingTuesday on November 27, 2018.
Hands down, peer-to-peer requests are more powerful than organizational asks. Here are some ways to get fellow members involved who are not on social media:
- Call your department and make sure that everyone is getting active on social media by sharing, posting, and participating in ALAF’s online efforts. This activity will help spread awareness to members that National Headquarters might be unable to reach.
- Spread the word at your local unit or post during meetings, fundraisers and family events.
- Print and pass out #GivingTuesday cards to everyone you meet! Download Giving Tuesday Cards
How can I help spread the word about #GivingTuesday online?
- Invite your Facebook friends to “like” the ALA Facebook page so they can see all of our #GivingTuesday incentives. Do this by:
- Pointing your browser to the ALA National Headquarters’ Facebook page – facebook.com/alaforveterans
- Clicking the words “Invite your friends to like this page” near the left corner of the home screen. Next, click each Facebook friend you wish to invite to like the ALA Facebook page.
- Follow @ALANatlHQ on Twitter to retweet and favorite ALAF’s #GivingTuesday posts! We want to see what you’re doing for ALAF on #GivingTuesday so don’t forget to tag @ALANatlHQ in your posts!
- Follow @ALAFORVETERANS on Instagram to like, comment on, and share ALAF’s #GivingTuesday photos. Make sure to tag us in your photos so we can share what the ALA community is doing on #GivingTuesday!
- Use some of the suggested Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram posts created just for you! Feel free to copy and paste onto your personal pages to share with their friends and families.
Giving Tuesday Cards
Sample Social Media Images
Sample Social Media Posts for #GivingTuesday
- #GivingTuesday is a global day of giving. On #GivingTuesday the American Legion Auxiliary Foundation is asking everyone to come together to show the world why it’s good to give. Whether it’s making a donation or just spreading the word, #GivingTuesday is a call to action for everyone who wants to give something back. Find out how you can give at http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/
- #GivingTuesday follows right behind Black Friday and Cyber Monday. After spending a lot of money on holiday shopping, let’s direct our dollars to the cause close to our hearts. Support the American Legion Auxiliary Foundation and visit http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/ to give back today!
- Our veterans need more than thanks. They deserve to live happy and healthy lives, but they suffer from high rates of unemployment, homelessness, and suicide. The system has let them down. So we need to step up by giving our time and money to charities that are getting veterans off the streets, providing job training, and delivering needed mental health care. Please help our nation’s heroes by donating to the ALA Foundation on #GivingTuesday – 11/27/18. Visit ALAF online at:http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/
- Many people wish to honor the brave men and women who serve our country in the armed forces. You can do your part to assist those serving in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere at home and abroad by supporting the American Legion Auxiliary Foundation on #GivingTuesday. Help a hero today! Visit ALAF online at: http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/
- #GivingTuesday is Nov 2tth. Join the movement! Find out how you can give at: http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/ #ALAF @ALANatlHQ
- #GivingTuesday is the perfect opportunity to support #Veterans and #military families. Donate now at:http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/ #ALAF
- We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. –Winston Churchill #GivingTuesday http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/
- It’s #GivingTuesday! Today is the perfect day to give back to veterans who have given all. Donate here: http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/ #ALAF
- #GivingTuesday is a day for everyone, everywhere, to GIVE! Find out how you can be part of the movement to support the #ALAF at http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/ #jointhemovement #makeadifference #socialgood #volunteer #giveback #veterans #military #servicemembers #communitysupport #fundraising #goodTUEgive #philanthropy #donate
- Everyone knows about #BlackFriday and #CyberMonday. Help me spread the word about #GivingTuesday to raise money for the ALA Foundation to support our troops at home and abroad! http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/ #goodTUEgive #givemoney #givetime #giveback #veterans #military #volunteer #donate #givesomebecausesomegaveall #freedomisnotfree #ALAFoundation #philanthropy #socialgood
- Support the American Legion Auxiliary Foundation and our nation’s veterans on #GivingTuesday – 11/27/18. Find out how you can get involved at: http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/ #goodTUEgive #givemoney #givetime #giveback #veterans #military #volunteer #donate #givesomebecausesomegaveall #freedomisnotfree #ALAFoundation #philanthropy #socialgood
- Take advantage of the post-Thanksgiving deals, but save some cash for #GivingTuesday. This global day of giving follows Black Friday and Cyber Monday every year. Be sure to support #ALAF this year by donating here: http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/ #goodTUEgive #givemoney #givetime #giveback #veterans #military #volunteer #donate #givesomebecausesomegaveall #freedomisnotfree #ALAFoundation #philanthropy #socialgood
- We Need You! The success of #GivingTuesday depends on the collective efforts of ALA members and supporters and their willingness to donate to the ALA Foundation. You are an essential part of making this movement a reality. Donate now at: http://alafoundation.org/givingtuesday/ #goodTUEgive #givemoney #givetime #giveback #veterans #military #volunteer #donate #givesomebecausesomegaveall #freedomisnotfree #ALAFoundation #philanthropy #socialgood
Donate to the ALA Foundation on #GivingTuesday to help ensure our worldwide mission of service to veterans, military and their families endures. Your support leads to job training, shelter, physical and mental health services and so much more.
Please make checks payable to American Legion Auxiliary Foundation and mail to:
American Legion Auxiliary National Headquarters
Attention: Development Division
8945 N. Meridian St.
Indianapolis, IN 46260