December 3, 2019
Advocate, Participate, and Donate to the American Legion Auxiliary Foundation and be part of a tradition of generosity! Most are familiar with Black Friday and Cyber Monday where we take advantage of bargains. We also have a day for giving thanks known as #GivingTuesday which falls on December 3 this year. #GivingTuesday is a simple concept – it’s a global day dedicated to giving back. Play your part! Donate to the ALA Foundation on #GivingTuesday to help ensure our worldwide mission of service to veterans, military and their families endures.
The American Legion Auxiliary has been dedicated to the act of giving back to our veterans, whether through service, donations, or awareness, since its founding 100 years ago. This year, we can continue to make a significant impact by participating in #GivingTuesday, a global day dedicated to giving back.
What is #GivingTuesday?
#GivingTuesday celebrates the act of giving – on the Tuesday following Black Friday and Cyber Monday. On December 3, 2019, the American Legion Auxiliary will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give. It’s the opportunity to join countries around the world in encouraging giving on #GivingTuesday. Just as the retail world has benefitted from coordinating national shopping days across many brands and platforms, #GivingTuesday does the same for organizations dedicated to serving our communities through philanthropy.
What does my gift on #GivingTuesday do for veterans?
Your #GivingTuesday gift directly impacts the lives of veterans and military families through two funds established by the American Legion Auxiliary Foundation – the Veteran Projects Fund and the Mission Endowment Fund. The Veteran Projects Fund, which supports ALA projects that address the needs of veterans, has been used to support many projects. This includes installing wheelchair accessible picnic tables and raised planter boxes at a homeless veterans’ center, purchasing a twelve-passenger van that gives homeless female veterans access to healthcare, and providing veterans facilities across the country with art supplies and awards for veterans’ art therapy sessions. The Mission Endowment Fund uses the interest gained on donations paid into the fund to support ALA programs, ensuring that future generations may benefit from Auxiliary programs that support veterans and their families. Your donation today helps ensure we’re here to help veterans tomorrow! Last year we raised over $21,000. Together we can surpass that number and have more impact than ever before.
How can I help spread the word about #GivingTuesday?
#GivingTuesday is a grassroots movement that needs your help! Click on the participate tab to get all the resources you need to make a difference.
Welcome to the American Legion Auxiliary Foundation #GivingTuesday toolkit! Let’s come together to spread the word for #GivingTuesday on December 3, 2019.
How can I get involved offline?
Hands down, peer-to-peer requests are more powerful than organizational asks. Here are some ways to get fellow members involved who are not on social media:
- Call your department and make sure that everyone is getting active on social media by sharing, posting, and participating in ALAF’s online efforts. This activity will help spread awareness to members that National Headquarters might be unable to reach.
- Spread the word at your local unit or post during meetings, fundraisers and family events.
Print and pass out #GivingTuesday cards to everyone you meet!
Download Giving Tuesday Cards
How can I help spread the word about #GivingTuesday online?
- On #GivingTuesday, perhaps more than ever, sharing is caring. Almost as important as giving itself, sharing your gifts and your “why” on social media is vital to making any #GivingTuesday a success.
- To make this easy, print this flier, fill it out with the reason you give, and take a selfie with your sign! Post that photo on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, tag the ALA NHQ, and tell your friends to give! (Bonus, you may even be featured on ALA’s social media accounts!)
- Invite your Facebook friends to “like” the ALA Facebook page so they can see all of our #GivingTuesday incentives. Do this by:
- Pointing your browser to the ALA National Headquarters’ Facebook page – facebook.com/alaforveterans
- Clicking the words “Invite your friends to like this page” near the left corner of the home screen. Next, click each Facebook friend you wish to invite to like the ALA Facebook page.
- Follow @ALANatlHQ on Twitter to retweet and favorite ALAF’s #GivingTuesday posts! We want to see what you’re doing for ALAF on #GivingTuesday so don’t forget to tag @ALANatlHQ in your posts!
- Follow @ALAFORVETERANS on Instagram to like, comment on, and share ALAF’s #GivingTuesday photos. Tag us in your photos so we can share what the ALA community is doing on #GivingTuesday!
- Use some of the suggested Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram posts created just for you! Feel free to copy and paste onto your personal pages to share with their friends and families.
Donate to the ALA Foundation on #GivingTuesday to help ensure our worldwide mission of service to veterans, military and their families endures. Your support leads to job training, shelter, physical and mental health services and so much more.
Please make checks payable to American Legion Auxiliary Foundation and mail to:
American Legion Auxiliary National Headquarters
Attention: Development Division
3450 Founders Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46268