Veteran Projects Fund (VPF) Grants
The American Legion Auxiliary Foundation (ALA Foundation) VPF was implemented in 2013 to help support projects that meet the needs of veterans, military and military families. VPF grants are awarded to American Legion Auxiliary (ALA) tax-exempt entities for projects that meet a one-time, new need benefitting multiple veterans, military and their families.
ALA Foundation VPF grants may only be awarded to an ALA tax-exempt entity that is in good standing with both the IRS nonprofit tax guidelines and the ALA compliance standards. Grants may be awarded up to $10,000 for a project period not to exceed twelve (12) months. ALA entities submitting grant proposals must demonstrate that they will be funding part of the project by providing a minimum of 20% of the total project’s funding cost.
The ALA Foundation’s VPF grants cannot fund:
- Reimbursements for completed projects including items/services paid for prior to receiving the grant awarded funding.
- Items intended for one-time use and/or not returned by an individual are not applicable for funding, including consumable products. Examples may include: food items, handouts and similar items.
- Projects that benefit only one individual.
- Day-to-day operating expenses of the grantee.
- Cost for maintenance, construction, repairs and/or additions of any type to a building and/or property-owned by the ALA and/or The American Legion.
- Maintenance and repair costs for government-owned facilities and/or property (e.g., U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs facility, etc.).
- Expenses related to enhancing personal property that is also used as a personal residence.
- Funding matches for government grants.
- Payment of consultant fees, administrative costs, or staff compensation, including, but not limited to, personnel expenses such as salary/wages, insurance, or other fringe benefits.
- Expenses related to seminars and training programs, including, but not limited to, lodging, travel, food, or materials.
- Expenses for The American Legion or Auxiliary office/social club/bar operations.
Recipients of ALA Foundation VPF grants are required to meet compliance standards by submitting grant reports that include a narrative description or summary of the grant progress or outcome, project photos, media coverage and a financial reporting of the grant funding. This grant report is required to be submitted to the ALA Foundation within 30 days of the project’s completion to remain in compliance with the ALA Foundation’s standards. Funds used to purchase items that can readily be reclaimed by the ALA require a signed indefinite loan agreement for the items purchased by the ALA for use by a facility, and that the item(s) and/or project have ALA Foundation branding. ALA entities seeking grants to be used in partnership with other entities must verify that each partner entity is a 501(c)3 or 501(c)19 organization in good standing with IRS nonprofit tax guidelines. ALA entities funding construction projects will be required to sign a new construction agreement.