Apply today to serve on the ALA Foundation Board of Directors
The American Legion Auxiliary Foundation Board of Directors is a group of talented and driven volunteers who work hard to support veterans, military, and their families. The board is currently seeking passionate individuals for 3-year elected board positions. The board member’s primary responsibility is to connect with supporters and raise funds to support the programs and services of the American Legion Auxiliary. The Nominating Committee for the ALA Foundation Board is looking for applicants with a passion for the mission of the American Legion Auxiliary who are eager to build, promote, and sustain the ALA Foundation. The Nominating Committee is dedicated to maintaining a board with diversity in geography and donor representation that brings the expertise, business skills, visibility, and vision needed to govern the ALA Foundation.
- The board meets quarterly; three meetings are held via Zoom and one is in person at the American Legion Auxiliary National Headquarters in Indianapolis, IN.
- Other business is conducted by email, phone, and Zoom.
ALA Foundation Directors Roles and Expectations
- Serve as a trustworthy steward of the ALA Foundation and the American Legion Auxiliary
- Make an annual gift to the organization
- Attend the board’s scheduled meetings
- Informed about the organization’s mission, services, policies, and programs
- Prepare for meetings and review all board and committee meeting materials
- Review, discuss, and vote on grant applications
- Identify and secure personal and corporate charitable gifts
- Contact donors regularly to thank them for their gift
- Recommend prospective nominees who can fulfill the mission of the board
- Assist in carrying out the board’s financial responsibilities
- Comply with board policies pertaining to conflict of interest and confidentiality
Desired Qualifications for ALA Foundation Directors
- Experience in fund development, major gifts, and/or fundraising
- Strong business background
- Passion and knowledge of the ALA Foundation and its programs
Application Submission Process
Completed applications are due March 31, 2023. Following the deadline, the ALA Foundation’s Nominating Committee will verify and review all applications, conduct candidate interviews via Zoom, then select candidates to be presented to the ALA Foundation Board of Directors. The board will elect individuals from this group and present those individuals for confirmation to the ALA National Executive Committee (the governing board). The three-year term of service for a new board member begins upon confirmation by the NEC at the ALA National Convention in August.